Thanksgiving Is Here! Let’s Make it Green Shall We?
By: Mylene Dela Cena
Before lining up the lists of festive dinner and exciting family celebrations such as Christmas and New Year, celebrating Thanksgiving is what we all look forward to. This is not just another festivity but most of all a gathering of family and friends who all have the same objective- to give thanks to everything they have received whether good or bad. Thanksgiving is also the perfect time to give thanks to our Mother Earth who has been there since the beginning to shelter us and our future generation as well.
There are many ways we could extend our gratitude to Mother Earth and this Thanksgiving, we are giving away some ideas on how we could celebrate it- the green ways.
1. Buy from local farmers- For a change, skip your favourite grocery shops and head on to local farms near you. You see, crops and other vegetables grew during fall and by now these items were surely harvested by local farmers. It would be great if you will buy from them and be perfectly sure that your Thanksgiving dinner will be compose of fresh and healthy greens.
2. Recycle- Spare your garbage bag from getting filled of leftovers and other wasted food. Remember, these scraps are perfect to serve as compost. Hold on to your unfinished turkey! You can create soups, salads or sandwiches out of this main dish.
3. Opt for veggies- Spare the poor Turkey this Thanksgiving. There are many other dishes recommended for home makers instead of stuffing up the bird. Green salads and other vegetable meals are healthier and eco-friendly! Ever heard of Tofurky? It is a brand name of an American vegetarian turkey replacement that is made out of wheat protein and organic tofu! Just the perfect replacement to your traditional Turkey on Thanksgiving!
4. Stay comfy at your home- You do not need to go out on Thanksgiving. You can have your family and friends stay with you and have dinner together. It will not just save you from spending money on gas but it will also save Mother Earth from having an additional carbon footprint on her shoulder.
5. Start a green goal- Thanksgiving is also considered as payback time to Mother Earth. This year, you could start setting up a green goal like planting a tree, starting a green lifestyle or involving yourself to green acts and movements. Any act that is eco-friendly is a perfect Thanksgiving gift to our environment.